Window and Widget - CEGUI

edited April 2009 in Help request
Hello
I'm been wondering, orx does not have windows or widget right now. Instead of develop a GUI base on SFML or SDL (which wouldn't be difficult) why not include CEGUI in this project.
I just download it and it seems to be very powerfull.
Technically speaking it is possible to include CEGUI as you did with Box2D, SFML, etc? I can give you a hand is you need it

Comments

• edited April 2009
    Hi!

Yep, looks pretty interesting. It should be possible to include it as a core plugin.
    So as to achieve that, 2 things are needed:
    - first, extract an interface from CEGUI and add it to orx (the interface should be as generic as possible),
    - then write a CEGUI plugin that uses orx API to rendre its stuff.

As I haven't looked at CEGUI's API and internals, I have no idea how much effort such a task requests. But it'd be something very interesting to have in orx! :)

Btw, did you encounter new problems during your discovery of orx?
  • edited April 2009
    I haven't done any other test on ORX. Since I would like to start this Sprite Engine Project I was trying to focus on the GUI issue.
    I'm learning to use CEGUI and right now I'm compiling all the examples using static libraries.
    Since ORX requires that all dependencies must be embedded inside one .dll plugin, I need to cover this step first.
    I'm close enough, so I'll send you the CEGUI SDK on mvs2008 with static lib dependecies only ASAP.
  • edited April 2009
    mrGREEN wrote:
    Since ORX requires that all dependencies must be embedded inside one .dll plugin, I need to cover this step first.
    I'm close enough, so I'll send you the CEGUI SDK on mvs2008 with static lib dependecies only ASAP.

Actually there are no such thing as this constraint. You can have all the external dependencies you want for your plugin, externally. It's just less handy for redistribution.
    For example, orxSoundSystem_SFML plugin relies on external libsdnfile/openal libraries (you might have seen the corresponding DLLs in the bin folder).
    On MacOS X platform, the SFML plugins are all using a dynamic version of SFML, the SFML .dylib/framework have to be redistributed with orx executable if you want to use these plugins.

The only part that has no external dependencies is orx's core (lib + exe).
  • edited April 2009
    You are right. I didn't see libsdnfile/openal dll. Well I'll try to embedded everything. I'll let you know. Thanks
  • edited April 2009
    Let me know when you have it working with static libraries then, I'll have a look at the work needed to create a plugin for it. Thanks for your help!
  • edited April 2009
    Hi
    I'm almost done with the static lib issue. As I told you I'm working on MVS9.0.
    I'm sending you the executables files of all the CEGUI SAMPLES available. As you can see there are a two samples that do not work. I think is related with the expat-2.0.1 static lib that I generated. I still need to generate lua static lib.
    Basically I just modify SILLY and FREEGLUT to work as a static lib. I also re-compiled all the dependencies with MVS9.0 (except pcre it's harder than the others) just because I got "LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb'" warning.
    Do you think the "LNK4099: PDB 'vc90.pdb" warning it's a big isssue? I fell that I got this warning because the lib was made using another compile different than mvs.
    Finally, and I let you go, I add at the linker->Input->Ignore Specific Library->libcmtd because I got linking errors.
    As soon as it'is done I'll give all. https://forum.orx-project.org/uploads/legacy/fbfiles/files/SAMPLE.zip SAMPLE.jpg
  • edited April 2009
    Ok, I could not load the file. I try later!
  • edited April 2009
    If it still doesn't work, can you mail it directly to me?
    I'll try to have a look at it during this week end or early next week.

I've just spend the last hours adding a new tutorial for orx (mainly about spawners but it also shows the heavy data-drive side of orx though config inheritance/reload). It's only available on the svn repository for now.